BAFTA's Charity Gift and 'Gift of the Academy' schemes are open to organisations whose remits are both connected to our industries - film, games and television - and directly supportive of our own charitable remit.
BAFTA is a charitable organisation that works year-round with audiences of all ages and backgrounds to offer the public unique access to some of the world’s most inspiring talent through on-stage events, mentoring and ongoing projects. We regularly collaborate with a number of charities and partners to bring our in-depth knowledge of the film, games and television industries to a wide range of audiences including students, schools and career starters.
Gifts are a way for us to offer other charitable organisations a little something extra.
Charity Gifts are BAFTA-related items that, when auctioned, can raise substantial funds for worthy causes. We are frequently asked to donate items – tickets for one of its prestigious Awards ceremonies being an example – and, owing to the very limited availability and high value of the items, applications will be assessed by our Board of Trustees, enabling fair consideration of all requests. We will favour charities whose remits are both connected to our industries (film, games and television) and directly supportive of our own charitable remit.
These gifts can include the following:
• BAFTA Awards Brochures
A complete set of limited-edition BAFTA Award ceremony brochures, from either the Film, Games, Television, Television Craft or Children’s Awards
Please note that wherever possible gifts of Awards Ceremony Brochures should be collected from our offices.
• British Academy Film Awards tickets (applications currently not invited)
A pair of tickets to the next British Academy Film Awards, including a Champagne Reception
• British Academy Television Awards tickets (applications currently not invited)
A pair of tickets to the next British Academy Television Awards, including a Champagne Reception
• Room Hire at BAFTA 195 Piccadilly
Eligible charities are invited to apply to book space at BAFTA's London headquarters. Please note that we are currently not inviting applications for beyond 2019 and beyond until the timetable has been clarified for the redevelopment of 195 Piccadilly.
Please note: We are not currently accepting applications for tickets to the Film Awards and the Television Awards.
Please send completed forms to: [email protected]
'Gift of the Academy' - Room Hire at BAFTA 195 Piccadilly
The 'Gift of the Academy' scheme is for complimentary room hire at our London headquarters, BAFTA 195 Piccadilly.
We are currently not inviting applications for beyond June 2019 until the timetable has been clarified for the redevelopment of BAFTA 195 Piccadilly.
Note: Additions to the policy, for the exceptional application period ending 6 July 2018, are highlighted in bold below.
1) Gift of the Academy Bookings are available to industry related Charities or not-for-profit organisations whose remits are both connected to our industries (film, games and television) and whose events directly support BAFTA's charitable remit. We will look particularly favourably on:
- Organisations that are committed to addressing the balance of under-represented groups in the film, games or television industries, in accordance with BAFTA’s diversity policy.
- Organisations that form part of the Charities Forum, the collection of charities which Their Royal Highnesses The Duke of Cambridge – President of BAFTA – The Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke of Sussex are patrons, where the purpose of the hire supports BAFTA’s aims in relation to the film, games or television industries.
2) The selected organisations will be asked to acknowledge the BAFTA gift in their relevant promotional materials, with the reference approved by BAFTA before publication.
3) Only one Gift of the Academy booking will be given to an organisation each year.
4) The Gift of the Academy support will be considered as a partnership activity which helps further our own remit and will be accounted for as such in our financial statements.
5) The maximum room hire value of bookings taken under the Gift of the Academy scheme in any one calendar year is £50,000 per year, with a maximum gifted benefit to each charity of £7,000. The total value of Gifts for room hire from August 2018 to May 2019 inclusive is £19,500.
6) Applications are invited throughout the year and these will be considered and approved in the October before the financial year in which the event will fall i.e.: in October 2019 for 2020 events. Therefore, it is important that prospective partners, both existing and new, are informed of the approval timetable to avoid disappointment. Applications submitted for the 6 July deadline will be considered and approved by 31 July 2018.
7) There is no guarantee that an approved Gift of the Academy booking in one year will result in an approval the following year. We will seek to vary the partners in order to widen our support as much as possible. Please also note that Gift of the Academy bookings can only be granted to the same organisation for a maximum of three consecutive years, after which a one-year gap is required before another application from that organisation can be considered.
8) All applications must include information about the event, an explanation of why the event fulfils our Gift of the Academy criteria and the latest audited accounts of the applicant. The financial standing of the applicant organisation will be taken into consideration when considering the application.
9) Applications will generally only be considered for events taking place in February, April, May, August, September, October and December during the venue's 'off peak' periods. Requests outside of this period will be taken into consideration subject to the venue's availability and the outcome of the Board on the individual applications.
Months of eligibility 2018-2019:
August (28th-31st) 2018
September (1st-15th) 2018
December (17th-21st) 2018
Days of the week:
(Some Tuesdays on request)
10) The Head of Commercial Events is charged with summarising all applications, including summary financial information on the applicant organisation, in time for the October Board meeting when the applications will be considered. For the application period ending 6 July 2018, the applications will be considered in July.
11) The ‘Gift’ constitutes complimentary room hire as agreed by the Board, to the limit of £7,000. All additional elements of the event would then be chargeable, including a minimum catering/beverage spend, AV facility charges, and any ancillary products (e.g. flowers). A contract would be drawn up and signed for these elements and deposits/payments required accordingly.
Minimum spend guide – for food and beverages combined:
Run Run Shaw & Mezzanine - from £2,000 + VAT
David Lean Room & Foyer Bar – from £3,500 + VAT
David Lean Room, Foyer Bar & Princess Anne Theatre - from £5,000 + VAT
12) BAFTA may at times create joint initiatives with organisations that meet the criteria above. In those cases, in addition to 'Gift of the Academy' room hire, BAFTA may provide other ongoing support, such as:
- Expert volunteers from the BAFTA membership.
- Promotion to BAFTA's public audiences, in particular new talent
Gift of the Academy room hire recipients to date in 2018 are:
- British Cinema and Television Veterans
- Equal Representation for Actresses
- Film Distributors' Association
- Raising Films
- Screen Nation Foundation
- Walking With The Wounded
Gift of the Academy room hire recipients to June 2019 are:
- British Sign Language Broadcasting Trust
- One World Media
- Resource Productions
- Creative England (Simon Relph Memorial Bursary)
- Apply online
- For room details click here
- For enquiries about Gift of the Academy, contact Tissem Lansac: [email protected]
The British Academy of Film and Television Arts is a world-leading independent arts charity with a remit of bringing the very best work in film, games and television to public attention and supporting the growth of creative talent in the UK and internationally.