Individuals from under-represented groups are elevated to the next stage of their careers in film, games and television as part of BAFTA's annual programme.
Pictured above: the 15 female directors selected for in the inaugural BAFTA Elevate
BAFTA Elevate 2018: Open for applications
Are you a writer? Are you trying to progress your career in film or television but you feel held back by your disability, gender, race, sexual orientation or socioeconomic background?
BAFTA is seeking 15 writers from areas of under-representation within our industries, including but not limited to the above, who must have at least one on-screen credit or commission for its latest BAFTA Elevate programme.
If selected by our panel of industry experts, you will receive a bespoke 12-month programme of support including networking opportunities, introductions, mentoring, tailored panel discussions, masterclasses and workshops focused on professional development.
|Our inaugural programme in 2017 - for female directors seeking to progress in high end television and features - continues to support 15 talented women. Read our press release announcing the initiative here.|
The deadline for applications is 25 May 2018, 17.00GMT.
BAFTA Elevate is looking for working screenwriters residing in the UK who are finding it difficult to progress to the next level of their careers. This series is not about teaching screenwriting. Participants are required to meet a certain level of experience to be considered.
Participants will need to demonstrate in their application that they meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Already have successful on-screen authored work to their name
- Have at least one feature film theatrically released in the UK
- Have one broadcast credit or produced piece of work (minimum of 30 minutes in television)
- Have produced online content that has been commissioned and on a broadcast and/or online platform (e.g. All 4, BBC Three, Sky Arts, YouTube)
- At least one award-winning short film from a BAFTA recognised film festival
- Demonstrable experience within a professional Writers Room environment (this would include continuing drama/soaps as well as series and serial)
Applicants applying as part of a writing team can also be considered. Please ask each member of the team to complete an application form, and ensure to include the names of the rest of the team in the personal statement, flagging that you would like to be considered as a team.
It is anticipated that most successful applicants will already have industry representation, however those with strong credits and an industry reference will also be considered.
Applicants must reside in the UK to be considered.
This edition of BAFTA Elevate is open to writers from under-represented groups only.