Please see below for the Breakthrough UK 2022 Terms and Conditions.
Click here to see Frequently Asked Questions.
These terms and conditions apply to the 2022 Breakthrough UK initiative (the “Initiative”) and any content you submit to BAFTA in support of your application (as described below). Please read them carefully as they affect your rights and liabilities under the law. If you do not agree to these Terms and Conditions, please do not apply for the Initiative or submit any content. By submitting an application you will be deemed to have accepted these Terms and Conditions. If you have any questions on the Terms and Conditions, please contact [email protected]
You (or your nominated representative) may apply to the Initiative by submitting a completed online entry form together with your CV, a showreel and any supporting materials as required. Your application form and your supporting materials are together referred to in these terms and conditions as the "Content". If you submit an incomplete application form or you fail to submit a CV and the requested supporting materials by the closing date you will not be eligible for consideration in the initiative. The deadline for completed applications is 5pm on Tuesday 28th June 2022.
WHO CAN ENTER
Anyone who is over the age of 18 and who satisfies the applicant experience criteria set out below may apply.
ENTRANT EXPERIENCE – FILM AND TV
We are looking for candidates who, at the time of application:
- Are aged 18 or over
- Are working in the UK, especially from regions and communities that are currently under-represented in the screen industries
- Have been primarily residing in the United Kingdom for at least 2 years
In film and TV, candidates must also:
Have a professional credit on a piece of work that has been
- Theatrically released in the UK
- Broadcast on a UK television channel or streaming service
between June 2021 and June 2022, or is reasonably expected to at time of application.
- Writers, producers, performers or directors working in scripted are eligible if they have completed at least one, but no more than two, projects on which they had a lead role
- Producers and directors working in factual and non-scripted (this includes producer/directors, series producers, multi-camera and gallery directors and development producers) are eligible if they have completed at least one project on which they had a lead or impactful role
- Practitioners from any other craft area are eligible if they have completed at least one project on which they had a lead or impactful role
- Practitioners from under-represented groups in the industry, in any role, who have faced barriers to their progression are eligible if they have completed at least one project on which they had a lead or impactful role.
In games, candidates must also:
- Have a professional credit on a piece of work that has been, or was due to have been, published or released in the UK between June 2021 and June 2022, or is reasonably expected to at the time of application.
- Have completed at least one project on which they had a lead or impactful role.
You can upload your Content to the Website from 9am on Friday 13th May 2022.
We must receive all Content via the Website no later than 5pm on Tuesday 28th June 2022. Please take into account the time it might take your content to be uploaded to the Website - don't leave it too late!
WHEN WILL I KNOW IF I HAVE BEEN SELECTED?
BAFTA will contact you in October 2022 if you have been selected for Breakthrough UK. We will announce the successful candidates in November 2021.
You represent, warrant and agree that:
1. You are the owner of all the rights in the Content or you have sought and received written permissions from owners of all materials featured in the Content, there are no disputes regarding ownership of the Content and you have the full authority to submit the Content.
2. No Content (or part thereof) submitted by you will:
(a) be false or misleading or omit information that should be disclosed by you or which infringes the copyright, moral right, performing rights, rights of privacy, trade mark or other proprietary right of any third party;
(b) constitute a misuse or unauthorised disclosure of any confidential information belonging to a third party;
(c) contain software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to affect the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
You indemnify BAFTA against all claims, costs proceedings, demands, losses, damages, expenses, including legal costs or liability whatsoever arising directly as a result of any breach by you of any representations, warranties or other terms contained or implied in this Agreement.
By entering the Initiative, you agree to be named in the media and to participate in as many promotional and press activities as possible, including:
- Promotional Photoshoot on 22nd and 23rd October 2022
- Media interviews
- Other photo opportunities
If you are one of those selected for Breakthrough UK 2022, we expect you to take part in announcement events and activity as required.
We ask that you do not make any announcement or issue any publicity in relation to the Initiative without our knowledge.
If you are selected for Breakthrough 2022, you will be permitted to describe yourself as such for the year following the date of the initiative. No other use of any BAFTA intellectual property (including trademarks and other logos) is permitted without BAFTA’s prior written approval.
BAFTA cannot take responsibility for any loss or damage to the Content or the materials on which the Content is delivered to us – you provide all such delivery materials to us at your own risk.
We cannot return any of the Content materials to you so please ensure that you keep copies of all materials delivered to us as part of your submission.
Jury decisions in all matters regarding the Initiative and the shortlist and finalists are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
BAFTA accepts no responsibility for:
- Lost, late, incomplete or undelivered applications, notifications or communications
- Any event which may cause the Initiative to be disrupted or corrupted. We will use our reasonable efforts to ensure that our website is available during the period for submission of applications but we make no guarantees and accept no liability for any failure in the availability of our website.
- Proof of submission of Content shall not be proof of receipt. Receipt time will be based on time clocked on the BAFTA website server.
BAFTA reserves the right at its sole discretion to:
- Disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process including but not limited to any unauthorised use of any computer program, script, or any other device or methodology or process intended to automate any aspect of the entry and voting process or engineer any result of voting.
- Cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the initiative.
- Amend these terms and conditions where reasonably necessary. We will post a notice on the website of any such amendments but your continued use of the website will be deemed to be acceptance by you of any such changes.
You release and hold BAFTA from any and all liability and any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this initiative to the extent permitted by law.
By entering the initiative, you give BAFTA permission to contact you from time to time with essential updates about the Initiative and, of course, contact you if you've been selected.
These terms and conditions shall be governed by and in accordance with the laws of England and each party submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.