BAFTA Scotland aims to bring the very best work in film, games and television to public attention and support the growth of new talent in Scotland. We do do this by celebrating, inspiring and nurturing emerging talent throughout the year with our comprehensive learning and new talent programme.
In 2018, BAFTA Scotland held 47 membership screenings in Glasgow and 31 screenings in Edinburgh, including preview screenings of Widows, Mary Queen of Scots, First Man, Beautiful Boy and You Were Never Really Here.
On top of that we also hosted numerous television previews, masterclasses and several networking receptions for career starters and students.
Take a look at some of BAFTA Scotland’s events highlights from 2018:
- BAFTA Nominated Shorts + Q&A with Will Anderson (Have Heart) and Tom Box (Mamoon)
- Panel: Finding your Niche in Film & TV in partnership with the University of Edinburgh
- Kiss Me First + Q&A with Executive Producers Bryan Elsley & Melanie Stokes, Richard Scott - CEO Axis Studios, and Head of Content Production at Axis Studios Paula Bird
GURU LIVE GLASGOW 2018
Guru Live Glasgow returned in April. The festival welcomed over 400 students, industry practitioners and career starters to the Lighthouse for a jam packed day full of panels, masterclasses and workshops with the very best in the creative industries.
- The Ladder: Film (Writer/director Peter Mackie Burns, 1st Assistant Director Tommy Gormley, and Talent Development Executive SFTN Caroline Cooper Charles)
- The Ladder: TV (BBC Commissioning Editor London & Scotland Gregor Sharp, Joint MD of Finestripe Productions Katie Lander, writer Ben Tagoe & Kirsty Drain, Digital Producer at BBC The Social)
- Directing Your First Hour (Directors Douglas Mackinnon, Louise Lockwood, Karen Kelly & Ben Kellett)
- Digital Creativity with Liam Wong (Liam Wong, Artistic Director at Ubisoft Montreal, offers an insight into his career journey)
- Masterclass: Outlander Behind the Scenes (costume designer Nina Ayers, set decorator Stuart Bryce, 1st assistant director Nick Heckstall-Smith, hair & make up designer Annie McEwan, production designer Gary Steele, DOP Walker & co-producer Michael Wilson)
- My Worst (Actor Joe McFadden, STV Head of Factual Michael McAvoy, Director of Sky Arts and Head of Sky Entertainment Phil Edgar-Jones & Laura Marks - Commissioning Editor, BBC Three Short Form)
- Secret Life of 5 Year Olds + Q&A with
Executive Producer Daniel Fromm, and Senior Producer Amy Willetts
- Career Close-Up: Make-Up Design with Donald Mowat (Spectre, Nocturnal Animals, First Man)
- Members networking and summer quiz
- Career Close-Up: Cinematography with Ula Pontikos (Filmstars Don't Die in Liverpool, Humans)
- One to one networking - Composer & Director Mixer at EIFF
- American Animals + Q&A with director Bart Layton & DOP Ole Bratt Birkeland
- Meet the Career Starters networking event
- The Cry + Q&A with director Glendyn Ivin, novelist Helen Fitzgerald, and Executive Producers Gaynor Holmes, & Claire Mundell
- Meet the Screen Academy networking reception
- Women on the Verge + Q&A with director Annie Griffin, screenwriter Lorna Martin, and Senior Commissioning Editor Pete Thornton
- Young Games Designer Workshops at Resonate Total Gaming Festival
- BAFTA Scotland Games Nominees (Stories Untold & OOO: Ascension) exhibiting at Resonate Total Gaming
- Outlaw King + Q&A with director David Mackenzie
- Nae Pasaran + Q&A with BAFTA Scotland nominated director Felipe Bustos Sierra
- BAFTA Scotland St Andrews Day Celebration in London with fundraising auction
- In Conversation with David Mackenzie (Outlaw King, Hell or High Water, Young Adam) in London
BRITISH ACADEMY SCOTLAND AWARDS 2018
We hosted our annual awards ceremony on Sunday 4 November, at the Radisson Blu Hotel - Glasgow.
Attendees included Karen Gillan, Alan Cumming, Rupert Everett, Brian Cox, Dawn O'Porter, Douglas Henshall, Richard Rankin, Sophie Skelton, and The First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon.
Photography from the awards can be viewed here.
For a full list of nominees & winners follow this link.
Visit the BAFTA SOUNDCLOUD PAGE to listen to podcasts from our events in 2018.