Getty ImagesApplications are closed for the 2019 intake of BAFTA LA's Newcomers Program. Click here to submit your interest for 2020!
The Newcomers Program is a four-year new talent initiative, recognizing and supporting international rising stars who have recently moved to Los Angeles to further their development and career.
Since the program’s launch in 2007, this initiative has recognized the long and fruitful legacy of UK talents moving to the US to expand their knowledge, develop their skills, and expand their network of peers.
Last year, the program expanded to include international representation to further deliver BAFTA's mission to promote cultural exchange and strengthen global collaboration.
Those accepted on to the program will demonstrate:
- A body of work that exhibits a demonstrable trajectory of growth and career advancement.
- Alignment with the core values of BAFTA Los Angeles to strive for excellence in the art forms of the moving image, in an inclusive and collaborative spirit.
- The passion and potential to become an international talent.
With its international reach, BAFTA is in a unique position to support new talents expanding their career into the US.
Each participant will receive access to BAFTA membership events and curated New Talent Events aimed at supporting both career development, and the transition to living and working in the US.
- Professional networking opportunities.
- Peer-matching with others who have recently moved to the US.
- Curated educational programming
- Access to BAFTA’s wider professional development event schedule including our special BAFTA Briefing sessions and our BAFTA Insights series.
We also encourage participants to be actively involved in many of our events and programs and to truly become part of the BAFTA Los Angeles family.
Applications for the Newcomers Program are reviewed and accepted once per calendar year.
At the conclusion of the program, participants may then be eligible for our new talent alumni scheme, to continue their relationship with BAFTA.
Those selected for the Program will be asked to pay an annual fee of $175 (plus a processing fee of $25).
Applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be a UK Citizen OR a non-US Citizen
- Have lived in Southern California for less than two years as of June 30.
- Time spent as a full-time student in film, television or games related courses will not count towards these two years.
- Have full-time employment, or be working on a full-time basis if self-employed, in film, television, and/or games, or related professions. OR Be a full-time student at a school connected with film, television and/or games with an expanding portfolio of work that demonstrates a trajectory of growth and career advancement.
- A commitment to supporting the mission and values of BAFTA, striving for excellence in the art forms of the moving image, in an inclusive and collaborative spirit.
The application deadline for the 2019 BAFTA LA Newcomers Program has now closed. Check back for updates in early 2020.
Applications will be reviewed by our Newcomers Committee. Factors to be considered will include academic qualifications, prior industry experience, and the applicant’s body of work. In short, we are looking for the next generation of our peers in their respective fields.
Applicants may also be interviewed in order to further demonstrate his/her eligibility to the Committee, as outlined above.
The program is intended to last four years. However, participation in subsequent years is not automatic. Continuation to a subsequent year will be contingent on the participant demonstrating career progress and ongoing benefit from their association with BAFTA and vice versa, as well as continuing to meet the basic criteria,
In exceptional circumstances, the Committee in its sole discretion may terminate an individual’s participation in the Program at any time.
Submit an application here.