BAFTA Tech is seeking a Software Engineer to join the team
Contract: Full-time, permanent
Salary: Circa £40,000 per annum
Reports to: Head of BAFTA Tech
BAFTA Tech is the development arm of BAFTA, the British Academy of Film and Television Arts. It is a distinct business unit within BAFTA that develops software products and services to support media practitioners, providing innovation in the technology and practice of digital media management.
You’ll be working in a small Scrum team using agile work methodology. Your responsibilities will include system maintenance, requirements gathering, development and testing of BAFTA’s two commercial products.
- Source2Screen – a cloud-based asset management system allowing the upload, storage, encoding and sharing of media securely and at optimal standards. The service has been in use by BAFTA and tested by a range of other beta clients, from awards bodies to producers to archivists and researchers. We launched commercially in January 2017and release new features iteratively for different customer groups.
- The BAFTA Awards Entry System – developed for BAFTA’s own awards and now commercially available to industry members and across other markets. The system provides a customisable online platform for organisations to gather and manage entries for a wide range of awards.
With a flat team structure, different team members will be ultimately responsible for different aspects of project delivery. While you might not be implementing all aspects of these yourself, you will be responsible for working with the other developers to ensure delivery that’s in line with industry best practice and to deadline.
We are looking for a developer who also has excellent communication skills and can explain highly technical concepts in a way that non-technical customers can understand.
- Full stack developer with a minimum of 3 years' experience
- PHP or proven thorough knowledge of OOP in another language
- Continuous integration
- Working within a team of developers
- Iterative development
- Linux servers
- Excellent communication skills
- Cloud computing - Amazon Web Services
- Symfony and Doctrine backend frameworks
- Backbone, Bootstrap and RequireJs frontend frameworks
- Unit testing
- Git code management
- Media management systems
- Agile work methodology
What we offer
We offer a friendly, flexible working environment and the opportunity to work with high profile partners and customers. The experience you will gain from working at BAFTA will be invaluable within the software development industry.
Please send a CV and cover letter (up to two pages each, no more than four pages in total) to [email protected] by Friday 23 June 2017. Your cover letter should provide evidence for how you fulfil the requirements of the person specification as well as details of your current salary.
Please help us to develop our equal opportunities policies and to monitor each stage of our recruitment processes by filling in our Diversity Monitoring Survey.
All the information you provide will be anonymous and is not considered with your application
This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, and is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may form part of the role. BAFTA retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.