A fantastic opportunity has arisen at BAFTA for a Product Manager/Client Support Lead to work in BAFTA’s Tech department.
Reports to: Head of BAFTA Tech
Contract type: Permanent, Full-time
Use of the BAFTA Members’ Club with discounts on food and drink
Free tickets to BAFTA screenings and other events
Location: Piccadilly, London
The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) is a world-leading independent arts charity that brings the very best work in film, games and television to public attention and supports the growth of creative talent in the UK and internationally. Through its Awards ceremonies and year-round programme of learning events and initiatives – which includes workshops, masterclasses, scholarships, lectures and mentoring schemes in the UK, USA and Asia – BAFTA identifies and celebrates excellence, discovers, inspires and nurtures new talent, and enables learning and creative collaboration. For advice and inspiration from the best creative minds in working in film, games and television, visit www.bafta.org/guru. For more, visit www.bafta.org.
About BAFTA Tech
BAFTA Tech is the development arm of BAFTA, the British Academy of Film and Television Arts. It is a distinct business unit owned by BAFTA that develops software products and services to support BAFTA and other organisations in related industries, providing innovation in technology and the practice of digital media management.
BAFTA’s existing tech products:
BAFTA Nucleus – an end-to-end awards management system developed for BAFTA’s own awards and is commercially available to the Film, Television and Games industries and across other markets. The system provides a customisable online platform for organisations to manage their end-to-end awards processes across submissions, judging and voting for a wide range of awards. BAFTA Nucleus is also licensed for managing applications to grants and bursaries by a number of organisations.
BAFTA Electron – a cloud-based asset management system for the upload, storage, reviewing, encoding and sharing of media securely and at highest quality standards. The service is in use by BAFTA and other clients for their awards management processes.
BAFTA Ticketing – a new product released in January 2019, currently building out first iteration. BAFTA Ticketing will manage BAFTA’s own complex needs across international branches to deliver booking, tickets and check-in for hundreds of events every year. It will also be licensed by external organisations.
BAFTA FYC – a new product released in October 2019. Currently in scoping next phase for member-facing front end, due to be released in summer 2020. BAFTA FYC will deliver online viewing for members for our Film Awards connecting via API to studio/distributors’ VOD platforms and will handle user authentication and information aggregation. We also plan for BAFTA FYC to be integrated with BAFTA Ticketing to deliver members bookings for screenings.
BAFTA Tech’s products in build phase:
BAFTA albert International Carbon Calculator – a new product currently at scoping phase. BAFTA albert is the sustainability arm of BAFTA, educating and certificating the TV and film industries to work towards all productions becoming carbon neutral. The international carbon calculator will replace an existing UK carbon calculator built by an external software company.
Parallelised Transcoding – a new product currently at R&D. Working with cutting-edge AWS technologies to increase the speed of transcoding.
We are looking for a someone who also has excellent communication skills and can explain highly technical concepts in a way that non-technical staff and clients can understand. You’ll be working in a small team structure in an agile environment so an ‘all hands on deck’ approach is essential.
When you first arrive, your key responsibilities include:
- Managing design, technical scope and build of BAFTA FYC.
- Managing design, technical scope and build of BAFTA albert International Carbon Calculator.
- Overseeing integration of Parallelised Transcoding into BAFTA’s existing software products.
Principle technical support contact for BAFTA staff and clients using and licensing BAFTA Nucleus, managing the staff who provide phone and email support, which requires a thorough understanding of all capabilities of this sophisticated product and how it is used to manage end-to-end awards and bursary/scholarship processes.
As the role develops, your key responsibilities will expand to include:
- Day-to-day product management of software development of BAFTA Nucleus, BAFTA’s end-to-end awards and bursary/scholarship management system.
- Day-to-day product management of software development of BAFTA Ticketing, BAFTA’s event booking system for members and the public.
- Day-to-day product management of software development of BAFTA Electron, BAFTA’s specialist video delivery management system.
- In collaboration with the Head of BAFTA Tech, scoping bespoke requirements from BAFTA and external clients to extend functionality of BAFTA Nucleus.
- Contributing imaginatively to ongoing product and commercial development of BAFTA Nucleus, BAFTA Ticketing and other BAFTA Tech services as part of the BAFTA Tech team.
- Working closely with the Head of BAFTA Tech to plan, research and deliver ongoing client management for BAFTA Nucleus, BAFTA's end-to-end awards entry system.
- Attending consultations with existing and potential new clients with an aim of bringing in new customers and making the experience for BAFTA Tech's existing customers nothing less than excellent.
- Helping to create and maintain suitable marketing and explanatory materials for BAFTA Tech’s products for use across BAFTA, existing clients and with prospective customers.
- Be the 'face' of BAFTA Nucleus and BAFTA Ticketing and its chief ambassador, managing all aspects of the customer relationships for BAFTA Nucleus from initial training through account management and support.
- Working closely with the Head of BAFTA Tech, ensure that suitable support arrangements are in place for all Nucleus and Ticketing customers and internal teams, working as first line support where appropriate and ensuring alternative resources available when required.
- Being present on the days and nights of ceremonies to assist in preparatory, rehearsal and backstage activities if required.
Essential Skills and Requirements
Minimum 3-4 years’ in systems management and product development;
Knowledge of agile development processes;
Experience of working with software developers;
Strategic and commercial approach with the ability to focus on the detail and able to relay complex information in a concise manner;
Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with people at all levels with diplomacy and professionalism;
Strong administrative skills, exceptional attention to detail and ability to process large amounts of sensitive data quickly and correctly, ensuring accurate and timely reporting;
Excellent organisational abilities, and the discipline for self-organisation without direct supervision;
Service-oriented approach, able to sensitively maintain relationships with a range of organisations;
Flexible thinker with the ability to embrace changes in the business and work effectively as part of a team;
Self-motivated, resilient and confident decision maker with the ability to work on numerous projects simultaneously;
Calm under extreme pressure;
Experience of leading demos to prospective clients an advantage;
To apply, please send a CV and Cover Letter outlining how you meet the requirements for the role to [email protected] with 'Product Manager/Client Support Lead' in the subject line of your email by Sunday 29 March 2020.